Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Here we go again

It has been more than a year and a half since I have felt moved to post on this blog. During that time there were some big changes in my life. Some for the better and some for the worse.

As I sit here thinking ahead to October I have fears and self doubt. On October 10-11 I will be competing in a double iron distance triathlon. The race follows the traditional swim, bike, run format of a triathlon but the distances are double that of an ironman race. The race starts with a 4.8 mile swim, then moves on to 224 miles of cycling and it capped of with a 52.4 mile run. The race will be non-stop throughout the night and there is a 36 hour cut off time. The race will be located at Lake Anna State Park in Virginia and it appropriately named the Virginia Double Iron.

So now you are probably asking, "Why would you do this?" I am attempting this race because I don't know if I can do it. It's that simple. Over the past two years I have built up my endurance and completed two iron distance triathlons and a 50 mile ultra marathon. This race however is a totally different beast. That said, I have a lot to do to get myself ready and to the start line on race day.


Training for this race began on May 28 and am currently almost three full weeks in. Over the next few months I want to use this blog to share with you my thoughts and feelings along the way. The next 16 weeks will go by quickly and with each passing day the reality of what I have set out to do hits home a little more.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i am so excited about this event! don't forget, nick and i would love to be part of your support crew if you need us. =)

tives said...

As your "offical" support crew, Becky and I are extremely excited! What could be more fun than a ROAD TRIP? Too bad we won't be visiting Scranton this time! This will definitely be a journey for you and we are excited to be part of it!

brooke b said...

Wow....will be tracking your progress! A.m.a.z.i.n.g!