Wednesday, August 12, 2009

MRS 2000+ Trial

Two weeks ago I was introduced to Rick Burger. Rick is a therapist with a company who works with a product called the MRS 2000+. He was meeting with Melissa at Inside Out Sports and she called me over and introduced me to him. He was intrigued with my training and the goal I had set for myself. He explained the device to me and let me take it home for a five day trial. So what is the MRS 2000+ you ask?

The magnetic-resonance-stimulation-system (MRS 2000+) uses weak pulsating electromagnetic fields to activate a number of the body’s different physiological processes. These processes are activated using magnetic field impulses, the measurable strength of which, even at the highest intensity level, is not higher than the magnetic field of the Earth. The MRS 2000+ is a white mat about six feet long that you lie on and contains three sets of two pairs of coils. Additionally there is a smaller mat (for the arm or knees) and a probe (for treating the hand) used for treating different parts of the body. For the purpose of my trial I only used the larger mat.

One of the primary areas of application is to generally increase performance and energy by activating metabolism, circulation, regeneration, and immune system functions. One of the secondary applications is to increase the general feeling of well being by promoting sleep, relaxation and reducing stress. That said I used the mat before and after several of my long, and short but intense, workouts.

There are several settings on the machine including time of day (as different bodily process are stimulated at different times of the day), duration and intensity. For me what would be important is the intensity setting. Rick recommended that I use the intensity setting of 400 for eight minutes prior to my workouts to warm up and energize my cells. He also recommended the intensity setting of 25 for 16 minutes after my workouts to maximize cell recovery. While I was demoing the system at home Rick was speaking with the doctor who helped create the device and they agreed that the 400 setting was no where near intense enough for someone with my endurance ability. I found that humorous since in the system's owners manual I read this statement, "It is recommended that you do not exceed an intensity level of 100 for full body application unless it has been recommended by a therapist." If the average person should not exceed an intensity setting of 100 and the machine's maximum intensity setting is 400 what would the setting need to be for someone training the way I am? That question still has remained unanswered.

Unfortunately I didn't notice any performance improvement or speed of recovery while using the MRS 2000+ system. While the machine certainly did not impede my ability I didn't notice any appreciable difference. While I was a little skeptical I really was hoping for some performance edge while using this product. If there is anyone reading this who would like to try the MRS 2000+ I would suggest it and can get you in touch with Rick. Rick and I would be interested to see how someone whose training isn't as intense as mine would feel while using this device. I am glad I was given the opportunity to try something different. You never know who you'll meet in life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you read the information on www.pemft.com and you will understand why this -or any other- very low intensity- device does not work for you. By the way, you are not the only one for whom it does not work!