Friday, October 2, 2009

Something is out there...in the darkness

I think that most of us would agree that lakes are scary places. The water is dark, there are creatures swimming about, and the bottoms are typically covered with slimy vegetation. You are anxious to get in because you just don't know what's out there. *Hold that thought*

I'm now eight days away from the race. In just over a week I will be standing on the edge of a lake staring down the buoy line. It will be 7:00am and the sun will barely be up which will make the lake appear even darker. As I sit here now and close my eyes visualizing the swim portion of the race I can only think one thing- I just don't know what's out there. I don't know what is the water but more importantly I don't know what this race holds for me. I don't know what is going to happen during the course of the 281.2 miles. It will be a long day and a half and I am full of uncertainty. It is the uncertainty that has been waking me up at night and keeping me from sleeping in the mornings. That is the allure of this race for me. The uncertainty is what made me sign up for it. It is the uncertainty that has fueled my motivation to stick with the training day in and day out. It is what has helped me to discover new things about myself each time I push myself close to my physical limits. Next Saturday when the gun goes off and we make our way into the water the journey of self discovery continues. I don't know what will happen out there nor do I know what I will learn along the way. It will be uncharted territory and everything will be new.

This coming Sunday I will be driving up to a local sprint triathlon to cheer on some friends. This will be the first race I have been to in months and the first one in a years that I have been to but not participated in. While most people have been training and racing pretty regularly throughout the year I have been on my bicycle week in and week out preparing for just one day. I am so excited to be able to cheer on friends and just be around the excitement and the energy of a race. I feel that this will really help with my motivation and the anxiety I am experiencing about my race. It is so powerful to see people cross the finish line and achieve their goals. I am getting misty-eyed just thinking about it. Side note- If anyone in Charlotte wants to head up there with me on Sunday morning let me know!

Go Sarah and Jocelyn!

My training volume is substantially reduced, I've cut out the alcohol until after the race and will start my caffeine taper tomorrow. The time is drawing near...

2 comments:

M said...

Lets just hope nessie is not out there in Lake Anna! Really looking forward to the adventure and the race. Thanks for sending a message. I read a lot of your postings as well - my favorite is the Squirrel Cage posting. My email is kbray07@gmail.com. If you send me your email I will be happy to send you my "Success Plan" which is essentially my strategy for the race. You might (or might not) find it helpful. Enjoy the taper!

brooke b said...

If the Sunday tri you're talking about is 'take flight', I'll look for you so I can give you a "you can do it!" hug!!