Monday, July 27, 2009

Improper nutrition + lack of sleep = poor recovery week

A little improper nutrition and a week of staying up later then usual, not sleeping well, resulted in a pretty poor recovery week for me. For the second time in the few months that I have been training with Peter I had a recovery week. Unlike the last time, this was an entire week of reduced volume. So how do I handle a week of moderate training??? Very poorly!

The week started out OK and I did all of my workouts but as the week went on I wasn't eating appropriately and wasn't sleeping well. On Saturday and Sunday I certainly felt the effects. My workouts this past weekend were litteraly half as long as the weekend before but really did feel about twice as hard. Part of it was the weather but I think a lot of it had to do with not being well rested and not being propely fueled. One of the best things about training is that you learn things about your body and how different stimuli effect your body in different ways. What I learned this past weekend is that I need to keep my calorie intake up and make sure I sleep as much as possible going into the weekend.

My last blog was about my issues with food. These issues still continue so this week one of my goals is to reach out to a few nutritionists and find someone to work with. I need some new ideas, some new foods to try, and a solid plan for pre and post workout meals. The lack of sleep part is easy to resolve- I simply need to sleep more. Since I am semi-unemployed at the moment I have no excuse not to sleep in. Today I slept until 6:30am. It feels like the day is almost half over already but I do feel well rested.

With a recovery week behind me and 11 weeks until race day I am still feeling good. I am a little afraid of what Peter has in store for me over the coming weeks but I am ready to continue building up my training volume. So far so good...

No comments: