Sunday, July 12, 2009

Strip clubs and McDonalds

Yup, you read it correctly- I said strip club! Exciting blog title isn't it?

For the past five weeks my alarm has been set for 2:47am on Saturday morning. My goal has been to get out on the bike by 3:45am to start my workout. I have done this because I think it is good training considering my race will take more than 24 hours to complete and because for me to get in the mileage that Peter wants me to do I need to start that early. The hardest thing about getting up this early is trying to eat breakfast at 3:00am. Drinking coffee at this time is easy but forcing yourself to eat a bagel, peanut butter, a banana and yogurt that early is quite a task. It honestly hasn't gotten any easier over the past few weeks. My stomach just isn't ready to eat that early but I know I have to. However, I have honed my routine and can get out the door a little earlier each week! By the time the race comes I expect to be out the door riding before 3:00am.

So you may be asking yourself where do strip clubs and McDonalds come into play? I assure you that strip clubs are not a part of training nor is McDonalds part of my diet! When I leave my apartment to ride my bike at 3:45ish in the morning the only people I see are those at a nearby strip club and those waiting in line at a McDonalds drive thru. By leaving my house at the time I do I ride past the Topless Carousel (aka The Big Top apparently) just about the time they are closing. I typically see about 20-30 men standing around in the parking lot, cars running (backed into their parking spots of course) with the systems kicking, and if I'm lucky someone will yell something at me snapping me out of my trance-like state. I am awake and riding my bike while people are still up drinking and staring at women they have absolutely no chance with. It cracks me up. I feel like I should know the security guards that I wave to. I'm sure I'm the only person dumb enough to be riding their bike that early on a Saturday morning.

About a mile later I pass by a McDonalds. I find this even more amusing. Each week the line for the drive thru is wrapped completely around the building. How many people really want to eat McDonalds at this time of the night (or morning as I call it)? You wonder why there is a fattening of America. While I am thinking about it- I wonder if they are serving lunch\dinner at this time of night or do they switch over to breakfast at a certain time? I could go for some pancakes if they would serve them to a skinny kid on a bike.

What does all this have to do with my training you ask? Well, these are the people who are out on the road driving towards me. I'm sure we would all agree that they are drunk at this point and most of them distracted with shoving greasy fast food into their faces. If there ever is a time that I am terrified and feel completely vulnerable...it is at this time. My bike is lit up like a Christmas tree but that can only do so much. I hope so hard that people see me. Each car that passes me without knocking me down or running me over is a small personal victory. Its like I am gambling and sometimes I wonder when my luck will run out. Each week as the training gets longer and I have to get out on the road a little earlier I wonder if I'll make it home safely at the end of the day. When I committed myself to this race I never thought I'd be waking up this early to ride my bike.

I'm tired, I'm scared and am still wondering if I have what it takes to complete this race. With 13 weeks until race day I question if I have what it takes both physically and mentally to cross the finish line before the 36 hour cutoff time. I know all about the highs and lows that come with endurance racing and am putting in my time with regards to training but I am not sure if it will be enough. The mind is a powerful thing and I hope, when necessary, I can muster the strength to control it and convince my body to continue to move forward. Only time will tell...

If you know me then you have more than likely met my dog Luna. She is my pride and joy. She is my world and one of my most favorite things. I would not be able to take care of her while training the way I do without the help of Craig, Christy and Susan from Carolina Doggie Playland (http://carolinadoggieplayland.com/). They have been so helpful and have helped to set my mind at ease when I am out all day on the weekends to train. I couldn't even come close to thanking them enough for all of their help. Not only do they support me in what I have set out to do but they love my dog and take such good care of her. If you have a pet then you know how important this is. Thank you Craig, Christy and Susan (and all the other staff of course!) for being such amazing people and taking such good care of all the dogs that come your way. Luna says, "Woof!"

3 comments:

Tim Parsons said...

I can only imagine how scary it must be to ride at that time. When I go out in the afternoon, and hit the busy roads, I feel the same way. Only it must be magnified 100 times over for you. Good luck and keep training - you'll definitely be ready and finish your race.

(This is your cousin Tim).

Anonymous said...

Keep going cousin! You are amazing! I would be petrified riding around with all those drunks, strippers and mcdonald-eaters. Be careful!

Anonymous said...

PS- apparently crprintingct is my name, but this is your cousin Becky