Thursday, September 17, 2009

Welcome to the Squirrel Cage!

A few months ago when searching for race reports and information about a double iron distance race I stumbled upon an article titled, "Beyond Iron." The article was written by Shane Eversfield who had completed the Virginia Double Iron a few years ago. I read the article and marked it as a favorite knowing that over the course of my training I would keep coming back to it. I would suggest reading it if you have a few minutes since it does a great job explaining the history of races longer than the ironman, describes some of the different types of races, and explains some of the why and how.

http://www.zendurance.net/beyondiron.htm

I want to use part of Shane's article in my post, and yes I did contact him asking if I could do so, because now that the race is getting closer I want you to see how the race is set up. Pretty much all of the following paragraph comes directly from Shane's article since he did such a good job of explaining it.

Most ultra-triathlons are called “squirrel cage races”. They consist of multiple swim, bike and run laps, over a short, gently rolling or flat course. In my race, the Virginia Double Iron, the course consists of 12 out-and-back swim laps, followed by 45 out-and-back bike laps and 26 out-and-back run laps. You might think such a short course for such long races might make a multi-day race monotonous. However, the course is quite beautiful, on quiet roads in a state park. The short out-and-back repetitions allow each athlete to return to the race center every 20-60 minutes This provides the athletes with access to his/her “pit area” for food, clothing, equipment changes and crew support. This frequent “check-in” offers a sense of security, as the athlete endures such a daunting task. Unlike most conventional races on longer courses, ultra-triathlons allow pacers to accompany athletes. The short laps make it easy for spouses and other crew members to take turns accompanying their athletes. Over multiple laps, the athlete gains intimate familiarity with the course, honing a perfect strategy for the greatest efficiency and economy. The age-old expression, “Practice makes perfect” really holds true for such courses. Short lap lengths also mean the athlete has an accurate, continuous measure of progress.

When I explain the course to people they think that is even crazier then the event itself. To prepare myself for the course I have finished up the majority of my long rides around Charlotte's own 2.97 mile Booty Loop. I try to get between 30 and 50 miles in on the Booty Loop at the end of my Saturday rides. It sounds boring but Shane was right about a sense of security. I find it comforting when I am completely fatigued to know exactly where I am and where I am going.

Three weeks from this very day I will make the drive up to Lake Anna. I've already started packing some items and making many different lists. Since this is an unsupported race and I have a support crew coming with me I don't want to forget anything. I want to take good care of my support crew since they will be taking good care of me. So who are these people who are willing to devote an entire sleepless weekend to helping me achieve my goal? My support crew is my sister, one of my cousins, and two of my favorite people/BFF's (ha ha...I just had to use BFF).

Tracy, Becky, Bob and Melissa will be there for me through each and every lap of the three sports. Melissa says she's just going to the race to drink beer and watch me suffer but I think she'll probably run a few laps with me. I can't thank these four enough for being willing to help me through this. I think we all know its not going to be pretty. The race will be tough and I am sure I will hit some extreme lows during both the bike and run. Knowing I have such an amazing crew with me will certainly make a huge difference and help to set my mind at ease. Thanks crew! Your hard work will be rewarded at the winery during the award ceremony on Sunday night.

23 days until race day. My stomach turns more and more quickly each time I think about it.

No comments: